What’s Covered in this Wayanad Travel Guide
- Proper Planning
- Via Air
- Via Rail
- Via Road
- Self-driven vehicle
- Arrival & Check-in
- Plantation estate stay experience
- Plantation Walk
- Sunset trek to Valiyapara in Vythiri
- Visit Banasura Sagar Dam
- Trek to Meenmutti Waterfall
- Plantation walk in Achoor Tea Estate & visit the Tea Museum
- Lakkidi View Point
- Pookode Lake, Edakkal Caves, Chembra Peak & Soochipara waterfall
WATCH THE VIDEO
1. Wayanad Location
Set high on the Western Ghats, Wayanad is a district in Kerala state with headquarters at the town of Kalpetta. Wayanad is a combination of 2 words ‘Vayal Nadu’ which means the “Land of Paddy Fields”.
2. How to Explore Wayanad
Wayanad is all about tea, coffee and spice plantations and is also popular for some of the most stunning waterfalls, lakes and wildlife which means there is a lot to see and explore here.
One may end up spending most of the the time driving on the roads and miss out the beautiful attractions if proper planning is not done. It’s always good to do some prior research before heading out to Wayanad. Planning includes Best Season, Mode of Commute, Picking the right accommodation amongst various option, Bookings, Sorting out the attractions you wish to cover, packing appropriately and then head off.
3. Best Season to Visit Wayanad
Wayanad Kerala Travel guide
4. How to Reach Wayanad
Wayanad can be reached via air, rail and road.
Wayanad Via Air
Nearest airport is Calicut International Airport ( 61 kms from Wayanad). From the airport, one needs to hire a cab to reach Wayanad via road.
Other Popular Routes
From Kochi To Wayanad – 260 Kms
From Bangalore to Wayanad – 282 kms
Wayanad Via Rail –
Kozhikode railway station (110 kilometers) is the nearest railway station to Wayanad
Wayanad Via Road – Bus
One can easily get regular buses to Wayanad from other major cities of the country.
Wayanad via Self-driven Vehicle
A self driven vehicle or hiring a cab is the most convenient option to reach Wayanad from Bangalore and Kochi. You can make as many number of stops to enjoy the scenic route.
5. Choosing an Accommodation
Wayanad Hotels resorts
Accommodations in Kalpetta
Accommodations in Vythiri
7. Days Required
8. Wayanad 2 Days Travel Itinerary
Wayanad Travel Guide Itinerary
Wayanad – Day 1
Arrival & Resort Check-in
Plantation Estate Stay Experience
Go for a Plantation Walk
Sunset trek to Valiyapara in Vythiri
Wayanad – Day 2
Banasura Sagar Dam
Trek to Meenmutti Waterfall
Plantation Walk in Achoor Tea Estate
Lakkidi View Point
Wayanad – Day 3 (suggestive)
- Pookode Lake
- Edakkal Caves
- Chembra Peak &
- Soochipara waterfall
9. How Expensive is Wayanad ?
Food – Some hotels/resorts/homestays may have an all inclusive package while others may charge extra for every meal.
10. Things to Carry
Wayanad Kerala Holiday
- Mornings and evenings are usually cold, so carry a sweater and a light jacket.
- Carry a raincoat / umbrella if you are travelling during monsoons ( in addition to the warm clothes)
- A binocular or a zoom in camera to watch / capture the birds.
- A flashlight, mosquito repellants and basic first-aid.
- A pair of sneakers or floaters with good sole grip.
- A small backpack during tekkings.
11. Other nearby tourist destinations
Munnar, Alleppey, Kochi, Poovar, Thekkady
Wayanad Coffee Plantation
Wayanad Tea Estate
Wayanad Trekking Sites
Wayanad Best Waterfalls Meenmutti
Images: World Ghoomo, Shutterstock